Monday, February 22, 2016

New Year, New State, New Projects

     So many things have happened in this new year, and I'm only now starting to get myself sorted. I've moved from sunny Southern California to equally-sunny, but a mite colder, Boulder, Colorado. I'm still a barista, so the caffeine consumption has not changed, and the coffee scene here is fantastic.
     Alex has brought his great-grandmother's industrial Singer (which we have yet to name) with us, so I've said 'so long' to Gunther the Pfaff. We just recently inherited a baby lock, and Wee Clara is still churning right along. Needless to say, our home will be overrun with sewing machines. 
     The only problem: they're all still in storage. 
     With pre-leasing season in full-swing here, we had to search high and low for an available place we really liked. But we found it! And now all I have to do is wait until our move-in date. And wring my hands, and think about all of the progress I could be making for upcoming events. 
     I've decided to take this time, and my nervous energy, and put it to good use: project planning.
     I will definitely be going to Costume College '16, and I think I may have talked a couple of people into trying it for the first time! So that is on the front burner. 

     Costume Ideas for CoCo'16:

Thursday-Night: Incroyable in Mustard

     For the Pool Party, I want to be comfortable, yet super historically-hip. I've been dying to make an ornate, over-the-top spencer with a mustard-striped velveteen that I have a ton of. The theme for the party is "mod," and I figure that Incroyables et Merveilleuses were pretty 'hip,' so I'll go with it. I'm making a matching shako or bonnet, and I've already painted some shoes to match. 

via chertseymuseum.org
via objektkatalog.gnm.de



Friday-Day: Wartime Dress

     Last year I took a class at Costume College about British fashion during WWII, and it was so fascinating. I want to recreate a Wartime dress, and have even been on the lookout for glow-in-the-dark buttons! I'll be using Decades of Style's New England Dress as a guide, though I'll have to cut out some fullness and length in the skirt and sleeves, as the yardage limits for a dress at the time were 2.5 yards. 
via decadesofstyle.com


Friday-Night: Night Circus Air Walker
     
     The Friday Night Social has a circus theme, so a few friends of mine are going to go as characters from The Night Circus. We were going to go as a group last year, but other costumes got in the way, and I was only able to get the bodice half-finished. The Night Circus colors are black, white, silver, and grey, so I'm really excited about this costume. As the Night Circus is magical, I'll be going as a tightrope-walker with a twist: an air-walker. I want to incorporate plumage and bird imagery, and am using this image as my inspiration:

via VintageVenus.com.au


Saturday: 1885 Walking Gown

     I've learned to really appreciate the late Bustle Era and the neat, almost severe look of walking outfits of the period. I love the fact that I don't need a ton of embellishment, as I feel it distracts from the fit and silhouette. I have some heavier weight cotton in a black and olive check, which I feel would look great as a walking gown. The local fabric store, Elfriede's Fine Fabrics has a great selection of worsted wools (and even wool flannel!). I think I'll make a black wool petticoat with a deep pleated hem, and make the apron and bodice out of the check. I want to keep the petticoat a solid black, as I would like it to serve double duty for a later project.

via VictorianKat


Sunday: Edwardian Ensemble

     I have a confession to make: I've always been a bit bewildered and intimidated by Edwardian fashion. The posture, the silhouette, the snag-prone fabric. It makes me shudder a bit, and I have no idea where to start. But I want to conquer my fear, and make a simple outfit. Alex has recently given in and has started Downton Abbey (for some reason, though his entire family and mine love this show, he was a bit reluctant to start), and I've found a few outfits and pieces that look so simple to make. So I'll be jumping in at the shallow end this year. 

via Museo de la Moda


via August Acutions

    Good luck to everyone's projects; I can't wait to see the beautiful creations in August!

     Until next time!
      -Meg



No comments:

Post a Comment