Friday, January 17, 2014

HSF Challenge #1: Make Do and Mend

   The past couple of weeks have flown by!
   My first challenge was definitely on the small side, and for good reason. I'm in the planning stages of constructing both an 1880's corset and a 1790's corset from Corsets and Crinolines. Because of that, I'm going to find things in my UFO pile that will fit into the challenges.
   I have the few remaining articles of clothing remaining in my reenacting wardrobe mended, though my corded petticoat will be an ongoing project.
   I mended some tears and wearing on my hand sewn drawers:
Some mending on the back of the waistband.

In all of their mended glory.

   My chemise only needed a few new stitches on the seams, though I did mend and cover the raveling inner shoulder seam with some twill tape:


   I added 6 rows to my corded petticoat and fixed my waistband and pleats:
The tighter channels are new. 

The plaid lining.

   Here are my undergarments together, along with my pillow ticking corset (Please forgive the lighting):






   The petticoat isn't done yet, but there is quite a bit of poof. With my other petticoats on, it looks quite nice. I ultimately want the cording to end about 12 inches from the waistband. I have some cords about 14" from the bottom, and then another 8" up from that. You can barely see them, but they're there.

   Here's the HSF info for my small start to a year of sewing:

The Challenge: "Make Do and Mend"
Fabric: cotton muslin; plaid cotton lining
Pattern: Laughing Moon Pattern #100 for chemise and drawers; none for the petticoat
Year: 1863
Notions: Cotton thread,  sisal cording
How historically accurate is it? Fairly; I used natural fibers and the pattern for the chemise and drawers look like several extant examples I've seen. My corded petticoat uses narrow cording sewn close together to provide body, and I've seen several examples of narrow corded petticoats. I'm not sure about the lining on the petticoat. I haven't seen any with a patterned lining, but I didn't have any cotton on hand other than this plaid. I figure a working-class woman would have used whatever she could get her hands on.
Hours to complete: About 5
First worn: For these pictures
Total cost: $0.00; everything was on hand.
   I think I'll probably start working on the cage crinoline I've been putting off making for the HSF Challenge #2: "Innovation".

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment